Do you ever worry that you sound too direct when expressing your thoughts and ideas in English?
The English language originated in Britain and, as the British place so much importance on politeness, it’s no surprise that the English language evolved to reflect this ‘obsession’. The British are real concerned about using ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ in most situations, but they also insist on using diplomatic language when dealing with people both privately and professionally.
The biggest challenge for many non-native speakers is how to sound diplomatic when doing business in English. Is it a cultural thing or can non-native speakers actually learn to be diplomatic?
The good news is that there are language techniques, that will allow you to get a much more successful response from native speakers than you might have had before.
Want to know more about our courses? Read here: Live Online English Lessons: How It Works
Book a FREE Demo English lesson with your level assessment and Individual Study Plan
Have a question? Get in touch, we’re always happy to help!
In our live online Polite and Diplomatic English course you will learn different techniques to ensure that you get your message across in a diplomatic way, allowing you to build solid and effective working relationships based on mutual respect. Practise English conversation online with one of our native English teachers and see your confidence improve as you become more fluent.
By the end of this Online English conversation course “Polite and Diplomatic English” you will be able to:
– Soften your use of language and make it sound more polite
– Turn your suggestions into questions/negatives to come across in a more diplomatic manner
– Use expressions to prepare the listener for receiving ‘bad news’
– Make it difficult for listeners to disagree with your point of view or be offended
– How to use modals, negatives and questions to sound more polite
– How to play for time in order to come across in a less dogmatic or offensive way
– How to avoid making general statements
– How to offer polite alternatives to arrangements
– How to sound less direct
– How to use voice emphasis to add meaning
– Learn politically correct language
Also in the course: How to Make Requests/Ask For Something, How to check for meaning, How to Disagree, How to negotiate